This study provides an analysis of the South African fixed line data services market in respect of services and technologies in use by the business customer segment, including an in-depth review of Layer 3 internet and VPN services and underlying Layer 1 and Layer 2 infrastructure.
Study focus areas and objectives
Market sizing, forecasting, and segmentation of the fixed line data services market in South Africa. Areas of emphasis include drivers and inhibitors, competitive trends in Layer 3 internet and VPN services and underlying Layer 1 and Layer 2 infrastructure and a brief overview of international trends.
Quantitative analysis and forecasts
This study is updated annually, and a key objective of this study is to provide up-to-date market sizing and forecasts, while tracking the major trends historically and those expected in the next five years.
The study is based on a combination of primary and secondary research and analysis, including an update of BMIT’s baseline data services model.
The underlying market model is a top-down model based on information collected from service providers, which data was then enhanced with a bottom-up enterprise market model. Forecasts are based on a market scenario analysis, which includes a review of international trends as well as the specific nuances of the local South African environment, including future regulatory and competitive industry dynamics.
Fixed line data services
- Fixed line data services market overview segmentation and forecast
- Analysis of Layer 3 (internet access, IP VPNs), PLCs, and brief coverage of hosting and other value added services
- Analysis of Layer 2 services and related Layer 1 physical infrastructure from all wholesale players, including the impact of Open Access players on the market
- Revenue analysis and forecast
- Segmentation by player category
Key questions answered:
- What is the size and shape of the fixed line data services market in South Africa?
- Which service categories will grow the fastest in future, and which ones are mature?
- What technology trends will have the greatest impact?
- Where are the major concentrations of spending, by customer group?
- How will the fortunes of infrastructure-based players differ from those of services-based players in future?
Table of Contents
- FTTx Deployment
- Increases in access technology speeds
- Increases in access technology demand
- Access speed increase: UK example
- Global VPN trends
- SD-WAN technology
- Retail fixed data services
- Wholesale fixed data services
Summary of key trends
- Overall fixed data market segmentation
- Fibre versus Copper
- Retail fixed line data market analysis by customer segment
- Competitive market shares
Layer 3 Services
- Layer 3 services analysis
- IP services – all fixed line and fixed wireless media
- IP services – fibre, leased line and fixed wireless only
- Fixed wireless-based L3 services
- Business fixed line L3 services breakdown
- FTTB-based Layer 3 business services revenue by underlying transmission
- Residential L3 services
Layer 2 Services
- Layer 2 services analysis
- FTTB-based Layer 2 services
- Fixed wireless Layer 2 services
- Access layers and operator models
- Four basic models relating to access level
- Summary of Open Access and Access Levels
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Excel Workbook
- One Hour Presentation / Workshop
For further information and details on how to subscribe to this research please contact Anita Mathews on 011 540 8000 | 082 466 2317 | firstname.lastname@example.org