The focus of this report is on South Africa’s retail internet services market, covering the broad range of services provided by internet service providers. These include connectivity and managed network services, notably those provided by ISPs, but also by telcos and system integrators.
Study focus areas and objectives
The study examines the market from a retail internet services perspective, including access technologies deployed in SA, covering subscriber and revenue numbers, and player market shares. The study then considers the revenues derived by the same players in respect of value-added activities such as IP VPNs, hosting, voice and other key service categories.
Quantitative analysis and forecasts
This study is updated annually, with a key objective being to provide up-to-date market sizing and forecasts, while illustrating the major trends currently and key market changes expected over the next five years.
The research is based on an integrative analysis of all available primary and secondary data, including an update of BMIT’s baseline data services model. The underlying model for the access market analysis is a bottom-up model by competitor, lending a player-centric focus to the study in terms of market share trends. Forecasts are based on market scenario analysis, which includes a review of international trends as well as the specific nuances of the local South African environment and competitive industry dynamics. The analysis considers customer uptake, the impact of decreasing prices on ARPUs, and which players will be the chief beneficiaries of the growth trends.
|Market segmentation and forecast
||Competitive market shares
Key questions answered:
- What is the size and shape of internet services market in South Africa?
- Which service categories will grow the fastest in future?
- What technology trends will have the greatest impact?
- Service maturity, margin pressure, and looming consolidation? How will price/performance ratios impact on ARPU attrition.
- What are the key players’ market shares, and which ones will benefit in future?
Table of Contents
- Market overview and definition
- Wholesale data services
- SA installed base of internet capable devices
- SA non-smartphone broadband uptake
- Key trends in the SA internet services market
Internet Service Access
- Access connections by technology
- Internet access revenue
Competitive Analysis of Layer 3 Access
- Fixed line Layer 3 subscriber market share summary
- Wireless Layer 3 subscriber market share summary
- Layer 3 access market shares: Telkom/BCX
- Layer 3 access market shares: Other mobile network operators
- Layer 3 access market shares: Traditional large ISP players
- Layer 3 access market shares: Other Players
Other ISP Players
- Global VPN trends
- SD-WAN technology
- IP VPN services in context
- IP VPN market shares
- Other ISP services
- Data Centre and Cloud services
- Internet access subscriber forecast
- Fibre internet access market – forecast scenarios
- Wireless and Wi-Fi access contextualised
- Internet access revenue forecast
- Overall revenue forecast
Deliverables and format
- PDF Power Point format
- Clients are also entitled to a presentation/workshop in Johannesburg (may be combined with other topics at BMIT’s discretion)
For further information and details on how to subscribe to this research please contact Anita Mathews on 011 540 8000 | 082 466 2317 | firstname.lastname@example.org